Institute of Art History of the CAS, v.v.i.
The institute was established as of January 1, 1953, initially as Cabinet, later on, as of August 1, 1957, as the Institute for Art Theory and Art History of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences. Its present title was adopted as of January 1, 1990. As of January 1, 2007, the Institute became a public research institution within the meaning of Act No. 341/2005 Coll.
The institute carries out research in the field of art history, in particular Czech art from the Middle Ages to the present. Special attention is dedicated to the compilation of lists of artistic heritage in the Czech lands, especially art historical topography of Prague and the region of Moravia and Silesia; it compiles special corpuses, for instance, of medieval frescoes and illuminated manuscripts. Publications include the multi-volume History of Czech Visual Art (11 volumes, 1984-2007) and encyclopedias. The institute also provides the requisite documentation services for such projects.
- Husova 4
110 00 Praha 1
- 221 183 111
created/managed information resources
- Art historical bibliography
- Collection of historical photographs of the Institute of Art History of the CAS
- Collection of planning documentation of the Institute of Art History of the CAS
- Funds of archival nature of the Institute of Art History of the CAS
- Musicological bibliographic database
- Phototeque of the Institute of Art History of the CAS